Sunday 12 November 2017

Notes Page 7 - Collage


An old piece based on being in and wandering around a place called High Cross House. It's a collage.  It prompted me to try some collage with the maps to marry the marks with the folding with the plotting because it feels disconnected at the moment.  
It was an epiphany and I got overexcited on realising Guy Debord employed collage(Memoirs 1959) and now I could understand why. It felt like I was in the right company, huge confirmation I was resolving things. 

From my journal:

Collage seems to be the best and most appropriate solution to my issue of drawing walking.

It assembles and contains all the disparate but connected elements.  It is more than the sum of its whole.  Formally this process is about disrupting linear thinking.  It is literally a lateral coexistence of disparate elements. Culturally is speaks of communication, of interconnectedness, a material metaphor of the networked world. And possibly a way to encapsulate the simultaneous experiential elements of walking. I'm thinking it could also possibly be the bridge for the argument between conceptual and expressive modes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Graphic Memoir project

Over on https://spacegirlproject.blogspot.com/ I began a  blog for my developing PhD research The Graphic Memoir as a Device for Healing. I ...