Sunday 10 June 2012

Recently began thinking about landscapes, internal and external.  I've been drawing some fairly ordinary observational sketches.  It's cool to get back to meditating on something, letting it speak for itself.  I have been holding on too tightly to ideas and theories lately but in letting them go I think they are coming back more comfortably.
Lots of pressure is not a good thing.  Sometimes it forces me to focus but at the moment it is pushing me under.  Having an open studio raises a few pressures and hurdles that I have managed to avoid in the past.  Like when to sell and what to sell and how to feel if it's not selling......  I haven't made work to sell for a long time and suddenly it has become an issue - surely I should be making a direct living out of what I do.  Two minutes into this mindset and I unravel.  When someone approaches me to buy something I kind of talk them out of it.  I can't work out why.  Inferior frames, lack of self worth, attachment to my work which is somehow part of myself.  Artists are notoriously bad business people but I am astonishingly rubbish!!!!  So I am going to work on this over the next few weeks, any tips gratefully received.....

3 comments:

  1. Focus on what you want and let it be easy. We never truly know where we are going. That's why it is important to pay attention along the way, because you can receive gifts from the universe at the most unlikely and unexpected moments.
    Affirmation: Ya Fattah, visualizing doors opening before you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great book I've found helpful is "I'd Rather Be In The Studio...the artist's no-excuse guide to self-promotion" by Alyson B Stanfield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you folks. I am consciously taking on your advise. Watch this space... PS Carol, I didn't respond on your blog but the circle journal is gorgeous and I enjoy seeing it evolve x

    ReplyDelete

Graphic Memoir project

Over on https://spacegirlproject.blogspot.com/ I began a  blog for my developing PhD research The Graphic Memoir as a Device for Healing. I ...