Sunday 22 April 2012

I like this blur.  It started life as very precise, intense drawing.  I'm hung up on the blogging thing.  I don't seem to be able to get down to it often enough.  And when I do I'm not sure it's my true voice anyway.  It's ironic that someone who is concerned with the visual and also with the language of the mark and expression struggles with a few words and images published on a blog.
It often feels like a diary, a reflective tool for myself, which is fine but then why would I show my diary to everyone willy nilly?!  This whole process makes me feel more vulnerable than sitting in my studio with 40 people passing through daily....  and I can pretend to be whoever I like on the blog, I can photo shop, edit, re-invent, big-up, pretend.
There is also the confusion of how far to go - I intended this to be a professional information site, yet I find myself divulging personal thoughts, feelings, ideas.  Perhaps this is because the work itself (oh yes, how could we forget the actual work itself....!)  is me.  And perhaps I am pretty blurry anyway.  Professional and personal for an artist are surely blurred yet some artists remain detached from their public presentation.  The work speaks for itself and the surrounding information merely that - information.
Which brings me to conclude that my discomfort with blogging perhaps lies in the fact that I feel less professional.  In an attempt to follow the appropriate 'professional practice' guidelines (promote, promote, promote) I have in fact become less professional.  Ha!

2 comments:

  1. Beth, I read this post a few days ago and thought I want to respond to this but I had to wait until I had a true comment. It would have been easy to tell you not to worry about the professional side to blogging but it is a real concern for you.

    Your work is beautifully and skillfully done. Your work speaks for itself. Everyone's blog is different and personal to a degree.

    I think of my blog as a way for people to get to know me and see my art but in a more casual way. I see a website or flickr as a place to see my art professionally photographed and documented.

    I REALLY love reading your posts and seeing your newest drawings.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carole,
      Thank you so much for your time and space and thoughts! I really appreciate it. And likewise I always look forward to your posts. There has been the odd (grim) day where an alert to a new post by you has popped into my inbox and I have felt not only cheered but a sense of belonging and unity.
      Enjoy that baby!
      x

      Delete

Graphic Memoir project

Over on https://spacegirlproject.blogspot.com/ I began a  blog for my developing PhD research The Graphic Memoir as a Device for Healing. I ...