Saturday 31 December 2011

The last day of 2011. Of course I am creating an inventory of what I wish to take with me into the next year and what must be dumped. Not resolutions, as such, more of a mental spring clean.
I'm shedding the martyr (the mother who feels guilty for absorbing herself in art when the children are so demanding). I may ditch the rational treatment of my drawing in aid of pursuing a more personal response to the world. I might also take with me the fact that I struggle with the most debilitating depression and finally bring it out into the open (I said might......). I am also definitely going to bring along this little ditty -

"There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way"

On a more intellectual note, the drawings of Sylvia Plath - which I have just become aware of - are simple and observational and communicate only the visual representation. It is difficult to define her emotions or thoughts through these drawings. Her words, however, craft a sharp, intense, economical sense of idea. Incredibly painful, dry and clever poetry.
Perhaps she used drawing as a meditation, a release, an occupation for her hands but not as a tool for communication. I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely because these are in the end the only images I have seen but it did make me think.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/23/sylvia-plath-ted-hughes-art?intcmp=239


Have a wonderful, creative and abundant New Year everyone.

PS Drawing Taster Workshop at the Mansion, Totnes on Friday 13th Jan 11-1 - Tell Yer Mates!

3 comments:

  1. Do not add the 'Intellectual stuff" to divert attention from the most important issues. Dealing with these will be the most important, I am no mother but, yeah to quitting the martyr!! The kids need to know what makes you tick! Might sound daft that, soz! Hope you and the boys are all well, send me your address @ patrickboothman@yahoo.co.uk. All the best for 2012, take it easy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat! Only just found this. How the hell are you?!!!! I'll email you promptly :)

      Delete
  2. Beth, my kids are grown and out of the house. I miss them, sort of, but not much. I have time to draw and paint and think. I'm such a happy empty nester I'm almost embarrassed by my happiness!
    Life gets easier, once the kids get used to their mommy being a human being who has a life other than being their mommy. Really, it does.
    I hope 2012 brings you happiness and heaps of creativity and free time.

    ReplyDelete

Graphic Memoir project

Over on https://spacegirlproject.blogspot.com/ I began a  blog for my developing PhD research The Graphic Memoir as a Device for Healing. I ...