Friday 17 November 2017

Notes Page 13

Studio Space Conversations:

A really helpful, thought provoking seminar with Majella on the subject of studios.  What five things are most important in an ideal studio?
Is there a 'post studio' culture that renders studio practice redundant?
Is the studio the context/environment for the work to be seen, so the space becomes the artwork?

I sat with a group of studio painters and drawers and printmakers.  I actually have not had a studio for a few years and am fairly nomadic in this.  If I'm honest, one of the main deciding factors in going for this MA was the studio space available (and that my space actually does tick all five requirements for me).
I suppose I have temporarily adopted a 'post studio practice'.  Situating myself in fields, galleries, launderettes, hostels and residencies.  What happens now I have a base for a year and how is this going to influence my work? It's a different process, planning performative happenings to making pieces. The walks are feeding into the work and there is a gap between the perceptions of the walks and the resulting responses: an area to investigate.  I am making some quick drawings on the walks and in their vitality they contrast with the investigations happening in the studio.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Beth,
    It's going to be interesting to see how being surrounded by walls will affect your work.
    Looking forward to following your year.
    x Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Carole,
    Since posting this I've been advised to get out and return to the supermarket!!!!
    Good to hear from you, Beth xxx

    ReplyDelete

Graphic Memoir project

Over on https://spacegirlproject.blogspot.com/ I began a  blog for my developing PhD research The Graphic Memoir as a Device for Healing. I ...